There’s no way Bells is bigger than Waimea brah.
1. Point Break was directed by Academy Award winning director (The Hurt Locker) Kathryn Bigelow and was produced by her then husband James Cameron.
2. Which is funny because Point Break is loosely based on the Ken Nunn novel “Tapping the Source” a film Vince from Entourage turns down to do Aquaman with director James Cameron.
3. The Point Break time like is incredibly accurate with the exception being Johnny Utah and the Ohio State Buckeyes actually lost to USC in the 1984 Rose Bowl. Utah would have played with NFL All-Pro Chris Spielman and NFL Hall of Famer Chris Carter.
4. The actor who played Bohdi’s brother Grommet/LBJ also played Brian Austin Green’s drug dealer in 90210
5. John Philbin, who played Nathaniel/Jimmy Carter, was an accomplished surfer before the film so much so that he actually taught Kate Bosworth how to surf for Blue Crush.
6. Matthew Broderick, Val Kilmer, Johnny Depp, and Charlie Seen were all asked to play the part of Johnny Utah before Keanu said yes.
7. Latigo Beach, where Bohdi and the ex-presidents like to surf is located in Malibu.
8. Point Break was the second movie Swayze and Reeves did together, the first was the hockey film Youngblood.
9. None of the filming in Point Break took place in Australia, but they did film in Oregon.
10. Which is sad because Bells Beach (the site of the 50 year storm) was actually listed as the world’s first surfing recreation reserve.
11. According to the Point Break timeline the previous 50 Year Storm happened in 1939 the same year WWII began.
12. The Fast & The Furious plot line is incredibly similar to Point Break’s.
13. Red Hot Chilli Peppers lead singer Anthony Kiedis makes an appearance in the movie as part of War Child’s gang.
14. Point Break was Kathryn Bigelow’s highest grossing film until 2012’s Zero Dark Thirty.
Reeves and Swayze gave the above interview to promote Point Break. Keanu took the time bash other 1991 films Robin Hood and Backdraft.
16. Production served Swayze with a cease and desist letter after jumping out of a plane around 30 times during filming. Like a bad ass Swayze obeyed the letter till the film moved to Hawaii to shoot more scenes.
17. Swayze was so nuts about skydiving that he actually got Gary Busey to go with him after filming.
18. Keanu, who learned to surf for the movie, enjoyed it so much he actually still surfs today.
19. Bigelow and Cameron, married at the time, had a show down at the box office with Bigelow’s Point Break and Cameron’s T2 Judgement Day being released within weeks of one another. They were divorced shortly thereafter.
20. Utah and Bohdi’s relationship is the first modern day “bromance” on film.
21. While coming up short at the Academy Awards, Swayze and Reeves were both given MTV Movie Award nominations for “Most Desirable Male.” Keanu took home the award.
22. For unknown reasons the Ex-Presidents didn’t honor Gerald Ford’s presidency as they decided to go with the masks of Reagan, Carter, Nixon, and Johnson skipping over the late President Ford.